Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

1 years has passed in the real world but in the magical land of Narnia it's been 1300 years. Yeah, this is the follow up to Disney's production of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe from 2005. As a kid I was a fan of the BBC production of Narnia and I was very sceptical back in 2005 to whether the Disney version would be all glossy and disney-like. The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe wasn't all that bad in my opinion. It could have been much worse, but I guess they were able to constrain themselves and keep it relatively close to the british BBC production. I especially liked Tilda Swinton's performance as the White Witch. So my memory before the age of 8 is kinda sketchy so I for some reason only remember watching The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe and none of the other 3 BBC productions. That leaves the slate somewhat clean when I am to make up an opinion for Disney's Prince Caspian.

Well, the kids are still kids, running around with huge swords when they in real life probably aren't allowed to run with scissors. Prince Caspian, a Telmarine, is about to be killed by his uncle when his professor saves him and sends him for the woods. He receives a magic horn and is asked to use it only in the case of an emergency. The four siblings are back in London and when Prince Caspian uses the horn they are all transported to Narnia. Together with the creatures in the woods they decide to help Prince Caspian take back his throne, and the battle with the Telmarines begins. Narnia has received some heat for its religious and sexist undertones and they are still there. I think that in 2008 the most prominent and most annoying with these kinds of tales is the fact that the boys with their swords decide what to do, but the girls have to be quiet and do what the boys tell them to do, and of course in the end the girls save the day. It's very stereotypical and kinda boring. The religious connotations are subtle in my opinion, and had I not been aware of them I 'm not sure I would even notice them. Once I was aware of this link they were easy to spot though. The movies are based on the books from the 50s and it wouldn't be Narnia if it wasn't like that. So i guess the question is, do we need Narnia in 2008? In the end it's a pretty straight forward movie that doesn't take any unexpected turns. It's a fantasy movie which is good entertainment, but it's not a movie I will keep thinking about in years to come. I liked The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe more than Prince Caspian as it was more imaginative and the story was more interesting. In this film they have already established the backstory so the main focus of the film was on the big fight against the Telmarins, which to be honest wasn't all that exciting.
Trailer here

No comments: