Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Let's talk business

As I am in my final stages of completing my masters thesis in psychology, why not start a blog. It's mostly to a place to write about movies i've seen, music i've heard and tv shows i love. Basically something completely new in the world of blogs ;)

My one and true love, as cheesy as it may sound, is the art of pictures and sound with all it's shapes and forms. So why not dedicate a blog to the many great works of art that are out there and that are to come.

I've seen alot of movies in my lifetime and some are definitely worth mentioning... others not so much. Luckily i share this passion with my friends which has made movie night a standard choice for recreational activities. Music is ofcourse a mandatory accessory when it comes to both the silver screen and tv so it will also be a part of this blog. Now i don't claim any real knowledge when it comes to making movies, music or tv shows. I study psychology and have only a couple of classes in media. But the beauty of movies, music and tv is its abilty to grab people no matter social, economical or educational status.

To give a sense of where we are in movie land I'll just mention a couple of my favorites. One of my favorite directors is Clint Eastwood. He makes interesting, beautiful movies with purpose. Letters from Iwo Jima is in my opinion of of his best works. The characters and the atmosphere in the movie is so nuanced. Another favorite movie if mine is Pan's Labyrinth. The world that Ophelia enters is imaginative, different and yet the storyline is easy to relate to. Which i also find holds true for anime movies from Studio Ghibli with Miyazaki directing. For me personally after watching many many movies, I find the ones that can make me see, feel or think something new are the ones that i find the most interesting. That may be either in the form of how the scrips is, how the characters are, how the pictures are, how it's edited, use of music, or the universe the story is set in. As long as it provides something new, it gets a star in my book.

Anyways, enough with the chatter, let's talk business.

No comments: